Beat the Freak Cyclocross - Fayetteville, TN

Monday, September 27, 2010

The fall is my favorite time of the year, with it so many great things come: college football, changing leaves, cyclocross....but none of those things are important when compared the to real things that come with October including seasonal beers (Harvest Moon - extra yum), holiday Cliff Bar flavors, and chocolate-chip pumpkin bread.

I woke up early and headed north to Fayetteville, TN for a two day race weekend. A short two hour drive with waves of rain coming and going, but it wasn't the rain during my drive I was worried about, it was the solid nights rain Friday night that would make the course soup. When I arrived at the park, the parking lot was mostly empty and a few folks include two USA Cycling officials were hiding under a pavilion, trying to stay out of the rain that was now steadily coming down.

The registration table.

Conditions were wet, this was taken during a break from the rain. Fortunately we were spared during our race as well.

I registered and retreated back to my car trying to stay dry and warm before kitting up and heading out for a warm-up. Lots more folks showed up and I was glad to see there was going to be a decent field, maybe not MABRA sized but good enough. I went out for a 20 minute warm-up on the road before turning in 2 laps on the course. The course was pretty technical including two back to back sand pits, a massive spiral and two run-up barriers. The race was decided like most, in the whole shot, 4 went up the road with me in 5th. I let a few more past sitting 9th until I began picking riders off. I was sitting in 7th about to grab 6th when I lost focus and nearly found myself in the water. Keeping the bike upright I dismounted and returned to the course not losing a position. On the last lap I picked off the guy I had been chasing for the previous 4 laps and almost snagged another at the line, missed it by a wheel. I was happy with 6th, and felt that my fitness is finally heading in the right direction. I didn't really grab a lot of pictures with the whole rain thing but snagged one from the race photographer:

The Start.
Credit to Freeman Photography.



Pretty happy with 6th for the day, planned on returning for Sunday but opted for a break.

Still don't have a team. Not much racing in Ft. Payne, def. once I'm in Orlando.

Post bike wash at the race, managed to the larger clumps of dirt off.

It's not a race weekend without a burrito and none better than Moe's.

Welcome to Moe's!


Post bike wash at my place, plus a good lube.

And capped the night off with a healthy dinner, mozzarella, cucumber, and tomato salad with balsamic dressing...tasty!


...one last note...these arrived yesterday but are too big so they're going back. Bummer!

Guess these meansI need to be fast! Either way they're sweet Ass!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP